Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Utilizing Amazon Glacier to store archived data on an Enterprise level.

In my environment here, like many other businesses I'm sure, we save terminated employees data indefinitely.  I have a process where we move the User folder, then export the mailbox into a PST and move both into a file share.  Well that folder has grown to a little over 600GB so far and it's very rarely accessed.
Glacier, I believe, would be the perfect home for this data.  Freeing up that much space on a file server for under $10 per month is WELL worth it to me.

My biggest question is the upload time... I've read horror stories on how slow the upload can be.  Granted there are a thousand different variables that can and will affect that time.  All we can do is try it out and see.

I'd love to hear any stories from others.. please feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment