Thursday, June 19, 2014

Mysterious duplicate Contacts on iPhone

So I've had this nagging issue for the past couple of years now and I guess I never really pursued it very far.  My last company phone was a Blackberry Z10 and I loved it.
Anyway I had a major issue with duplicate contact entries.. and by duplicate I mean some would have 18, others 3.  It varied by that much!

The only accounts I had tied to any phone was my Gmail and my corporate Exchange and neither of those listed many of these weird contact entries in their address or contact lists.  I ignored it often, cussed it other times and today I discovered the reason:  Outlook Suggested Contacts.

By default everytime you email someone from Outlook that does not have an existing contact entry in either your GAL or a local Contact Group/list Outlook automatically creates one under the 'Suggested Contacts'.  So in Outlook if you click on Address Book"

Then Suggested Contacts:

You'll undoubtedly see a TON of entries, most of which you won't give a care about having as a contact.  Hell I had Craigslist randomized addresses in mine.  So do disable such a nonsensical thing, click on File then Options then Contacts:



No comments:

Post a Comment