Friday, December 13, 2019

Ubiquiti Unifi Controller networks.. Corp LAN or VLAN?

So a couple weeks ago I setup my first Unifi Controller on top of Ubuntu 19.10 Server. I ended up following a script I found here and it worked beautifully!

I'll readily admit I don't always research as much as I should but I usually figure it out anyway. This time though I found something odd.  So UBNT states that unless you have a USG in your environment (or another device performing Layer 3) then you should create all of your networks in the controller as VLAN objects.

My setup here at work is not special or out of the ordinary.. I have a Sophos firewall doing the firewall duties as well as DHCP for all my subnets and routing.  When I create my wifi subnet under Networks as a VLAN DHCP traffic refuses to pass.  I don't know why, nor do I want to suffer through the inhumanity that is UBNT's chat based support one more minute.

Long story, short I spent about 5 hours one evening fighting with support over this very thing. They say 'No you need VLANS'.  I say 'Well my clients are not pulling DHCP leases from my firewall'.. they say 'You must have VLANS!'  So it was a stupid cycle.

But about maybe 15 minutes after removing that Wireless VLAN and creating a Wireless Corp LAN my clients were pulling valid leases and everything was good.

I don't know why, nor do I care at this point. Just be aware, if you run into a similar issue try a Corp LAN instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment