Monday, December 16, 2019

Qnap 10GBe PCi card locks up device

So a few months ago I bought a Qnap TV-1635AX NAS for work to use as a backup to disk solution until my SAN arrived.

I bought this one because it has a ton of drive bays and 10GB SFP capabilities.  Word of caution: DO NOT USE QNAPS 10GBE PCI CARDS

I wanted to use copper for my 10gb, so I also bought a Qnap QXG-10G1T card.  It's supported and should be fine right?  Except not. In my case I needed to backup roughly 19TB using Veeam and Robocopy.  I started out enabling Jumbo frames to help things move along a bit faster. Within 5 hours of my job starting the unit would lockup.  For the web gui totally unresponsive, however the local LCD panel showed it was good. Tried without Jumbo frames.. same thing except maybe 10 hours into the job. Locked up tighter than tight.

I spent time with support via emails.. they were no help. I wanted to hear from an engineer on this but no such luck.

Switched to a 10GB SFP module and so far no issues. I have not summoned up the courage to re-enable Jumbo Frames but I don;t have to now since my initial jobs are complete and it's just the deltas. 

But moral of the story is, the PCI backplane in at this this model Qnap cannot support 10G over copper.

No comments:

Post a Comment