Thursday, February 12, 2015

Restoring data to mailbox, Exchange 2010 SP3

Ok so in our migration from on premise to Office365, we had sent out a note to all the users about cleaning up their Deleted Items folders.  Explaining how the migration process will remove all items older than 30 days.

So yeah.. I've got a user who somehow thought that if he created subfolders inside the Deleted Items that the emails would be safe.  Because he used the Deleted Items for things he wasn't entirely sure he wanted to delete.  I know, I know.. makes no damn sense to me either.

So that's exactly what he did.. he created /Deleted Items/deleted 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Ok so it's my job to try to recover those.  First things first I restored the database via Symantec Backup Exec, then followed the steps here: http://msexchangeguru.com/2010/05/23/exchange2010-recovery-database/ then I had tried both New-MailboxRestoreRequest and Restore-Mailbox.

The latter gave me fits.. it would not recognize the source mailbox name of "Waters, Cliff".  I tried all different variations and could not get it to work.

The New-MailboxRestoreRequest however proved working except finding syntax info was semi-hard.
So in the end my syntax was:

new-mailboxrestorerequest -sourcedatabase recovery -sourcerestoremailbox 'Waters, Cliff' -targetmailbox cwaters1 -allowlegacymismatch -includefolders "#deleteditems#/deleted 2013"


While logged in as the new temp user 'cwaters1' in OWA i could see those three subfolders populating with deleted emails.

Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment