Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Relocating a DC from Site A to Site B

I recently learned that my company is shuttering one of our remote locations, which I can't say at this time.

It seems that just yesterday I spent a week out there setting up that as a new site.. *shakes head*

Anyway during that acquisition we gained an office in *major US city* and a manufacturing facility in *tiny friggin remote location*.  "TFRL" only has like 8 actual user's and a file server, I did set them up as an AD Site but they had no domain controller.  We looks like the best plan I can come up with is moving the DC in the city to TFRL, lol.


So in order to move a Domain Controller to a new AD Site it seems as though the best way is to demote and re-promote in the new site on the new subnet.  I do have to change the hostname to match the new Site code so yeah here's what I'm going to do:

Demote DC in old site.
Change hostname
Physically move to new site
Static IP on that subnet
Promote
And Done.

Now from what I can tell via Microsoft's method if my hostname was staying the same then I could just alter the IP config and AD would see that the DC was not using IP info associated with a different Site and change the service records and DNS accordingly.  However I would still need to move the object manually to the new site in AD.

This DC is not a bridgehead so being as such that removes some additional config.  It does however have the DNS and GC roles so I will need to make sure there are no static records to the old IP.


It'll be next summer before this happens so I won't be travelling again during the middle of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment