Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Changing certificate on Exchange 2010 SP3

Today I ran into an issue with Exch2010 and adding a new certificate.

See we have two primary sites at the company I work for.. MS and MI.  MS is and has always been the SMTP gateway as our spam filter is there.  Which is fine and dandy.  However we are in the beginning stages of an Office 365 migration and in preparation for that I decided to allow external access to my Exch server here in the MI site.. so as not to traverse slow MPLS to MS then to the cloud when uploading mailbox data.

So since our external URL for OWA is https:\\internetmail.unifiedbrands.net, I chose 'internetmail2' for the common name.

So I buy the cert for Network Solutions, add it to the server, assign IIS and SMTP services to it then edit the Internalurl for OWA, ECP, Active-Sync, OAB, EWS and CAS.
Which worked pretty much except for this nagging Security Alert when opening Outlook complaining at how there was a name mis-match, it was looking for the FQDN of the server.

Oh what now! I hate problems.

I went through and double and triple checked every Virtual Directory there is.  I'll be damned their all correct!  I reset IIS, I rebooted the server.. the cert mis-match was still here.

Here's the Cliff-Notes version on checking the VD's:

Get-ClientAccessServer | fl identity,autodiscoverserviceinternaluri
Get-Webservicesvirtualdirectory | fl identity,internalurl,externalurl
Get-OABvirtualdirectory | fl identity,internalurl,externalurl
Get-OWAvirtualdirectory | fl identity,internalurl,externalurl
Get-ECPvirtualdirectory | fl identity,internalurl,externalurl
Get-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory | fl identity,internalurl,externalurl
*Get-OutlookAnywhere | fl identity,externalhostname  (if used)
So as much as I hate recreating VD's.. I wound up recreating the EWS virtual directory.  Then re-set the InternalURL value.. verifying all Authentication settings were correct, flushing my local DNS cache, resetting IIS again and after about 15 minutes Outlook opened without complaint.  MailTips were back and I could see Free/Busy info for both users on my CAS and users on the MS server's CAS.
YAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment