Thursday, February 14, 2019

Linux/Windows Dual Boot, "The disk contains an unclean file system"

I'm not running a dual-boot system between KDE Neon (My current favorite Linux distro) and Windows 8.1 (Because I think 10 sucks ass),  Why Windows you say? Because no ones ported Far Cry 5 over yet ;)

Anyway I have a shared 'storage' drive between the two.. it's formatted as NTFS and just holds some backup stuff and I use it as a go between. Last night I'm pretty sure I told Windows to shut down. Turns out it left this disk in an unclean state. SHAME......SHAME.......SHAME lol.

The resolution is *ntfsfix*, installed by default on Ubuntu since like.. hell IDK like a number of major versions back.  Any how this is your savior.

 skeer@spektr  /media/skeer sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda1
Mounting volume... The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors...
Processing $MFT and $MFTMirr...
Reading $MFT... OK
Reading $MFTMirr... OK
Comparing $MFTMirr to $MFT... OK
Processing of $MFT and $MFTMirr completed successfully.
Setting required flags on partition... OK
Going to empty the journal ($LogFile)... OK
Checking the alternate boot sector... OK
NTFS volume version is 3.1.
NTFS partition /dev/sda1 was processed successfully.

 skeer@spektr  /media/skeer sudo mount -a          
skeer@spektr  /media/skeer


BOOM, Done. 

I can now write to the disk from Neon.

Peace Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment