Monday, October 1, 2018

HP Elitebook x360 1030 G2 + Ubuntu 18.04

So I forgot my Asus at home today.. and I'm too lazy to make the 40 minute round trip to go get it so I decided to grab up the nearest laptop and load Linux on it. Turns out the nearest laptop was an HP Elitebook x360 1030 G2.. the Ultra book version.

Thing runs Windows pretty damn good, it can only run Linux better!  So because my go-to OS for the past few years has been Fedora, I decided to run what any newcomer would.. Ubuntu!

Anyway long story short I installed Ubuntu 18.04 KDE version.. laptop booted perfectly.  So far everything works including the touch screen. But I have a pair of 17' LCD's, external keyboard and mouse on my desk.  So I grabbed an HP USB-C Universal dock.. plugged it in and nothing. No display, no USB, nothing at all.

Installed the DisplayPort drivers from here: DisplayLink for Ubuntu, rebooted and BOOM. Everything on teh dock worked. Ethernet, Sound, Display, USB.. all of it.

I gotta say Ubuntu surprised me on this one, pleasantly surprised.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. I am considering to buy this machine and make dual bootable. Did You have further experience with the Elitebook and Ubuntu 18.04?
    Best regards!!
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete