Thursday, May 7, 2015

Rancid, Cisco networking device config backup/differencing

So Monday I started setting up a Rancid server.  Honestly I needed something to do until the DR project really kicks off, I was googling.. found mention of a cisco switch/router configuration backup and ran with it.

I setup a CentOS 7 virtual machine, and following the advice laid out here: http://ciscoskills.net/2015/01/03/install-rancid-and-viewvc-on-centos-7/

Was able to get the server going.  What I like about ViewVC is that it gives you a nice web gui to view the captured configs with.  Also you can select a specific config file and it can display the differences between the selection and the current file.  Really cool.


Anyway I think this will be one of those systems that just kinda runs.. for months or years and gets forgotten about.  Until a switch dies and you need the configuration.

No comments:

Post a Comment