Friday, May 1, 2015

BitLocker - A short story on how to setup in a domain.

Bitlocker, well in case you've never heard of it is a data encryption method developed by Microsoft for use on the 'recent' Windows platform, OS requirements include:

Windows Vista/7 - Ultimate and Enterprise
Windows 8/8.1/2008/Later - Professional and Enterprise


BitLocker meets FIPS 140-2 using AES encryption.

Now having recently gone through this in my own company I can say it was MUCH less painful that I ever thought it could have been previously.  First off make sure your domain is at least a functional level of 2008.  If you are still on a 2003 level you will need to extended the schema.  I did not have so you;d need to Google-Fu up the procedures on doing that.


Now one of the first things I did was go here:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd875529%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I used the Add-TPMSelfWriteACE.vbs script to make sure the access control entry for TPM in AD was created.

  1. Download and review Add-TPMSelfWriteACE.vbs (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=167133) from the download page.
  2. Modify Add-TPMSelfWriteACE.vbs as appropriate for your environment.
  3. Type the following at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
    cscript Add-TPMSelfWriteACE.vbs
Then I created the GPO that would require the Recovery Key to be stored within AD:


Now quite honestly.. once those were done I took a test laptop.. enabled the TPM within the bios.  I enabled BitLocker and let it do the hardware check.  It rebooted once, came back up and proceeded to encrypt the drive which took like 6 hours for a 500gb drive.

Once complete I verified the Recovery Key was stored in AD under the computer object:



Boom, done.  I didn't really notice any performance hit after the encryption process completed however admittedly this is not my main machine so I need to use it for a while to better gauge that.


No comments:

Post a Comment