Thursday, November 3, 2016

Fedora 25, Another Shot at a Linux Workstation

So since I predominately support Linux at the new job, and recent weirdness with Win10 I decided to give Linux another try as a workstation platform.  Granted I do need RDP to hit a few Windows servers but it's nothing like it used to be when I tried switching at work in the past.  Here most of my work is via SSH so yay!

Speaking honestly this is exactly what I've been leaning towards for a while now, moving away from Windows support.  Which I guess, seriously you can't really get fully away from it.. at least IMHO.

So hardware.. what am I running?  A Dell XPS 15 model 9550  pushing a 34" Asus lcd along with a pair of Dell 19" widescreen lcds, along with the laptops builtin screen.  A decent amount of desktop real estate.  Luckily the XPS has a built-in GTX 960m which helps.  The con in this setup is the USB3 DisplayLink "dock".  So far Ubuntu is the only distro with an official driver package for DisplayLink devices.  Usb and ethernet work in a pass through mode but video does not.

So Googling I stumbled across this site: http://nothen.com.ar/en/support-for-displaylink-adapters-on-linux/ So this guy ran into the same issue, just with a slightly older Dell model. I don;t beleive he was trying to drive as many displays as I am, but he made excellent headway in developing an RPM package.
However since I want to run Fedora 25 which is technically still in RC2 until next week I think.. there's too many differences for his version to work with my laptop.  (I know.. I tried)

But this Santiago person on down in the comments looks to be currently developing a package for RPM based distros.  I have not yet had the chance to try his latest release but I have plans on it tonight.  If that fails I will be trying to source a USB-C display adapter and will probably lose one or two of my displays until the DL drivers get to a point of where they work.

In any case I'll report back when I've had a chance to try Santiagos latest.

https://github.com/ssaavedra/displaylink-rpm/releases/

No comments:

Post a Comment