Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Fedora 23 Broken Grub - Boot to Grub Prompt

So today I swapped laptops from a Lenovo W510 with an HP Elitebook 8570p as a test with a Fedora  23 install.

Now for safeties sake I did image the drive with Clonezilla first to a local USB drive for safe keeping.  Then I swapped the drives and booted up.  Boot came directly to the grub prompt.

After multiple Googling's I decided to try the SuperGrubDisk2 iso..  So I booted it up and it found all the entries in my grub.cfg file.  Being relatively new to this level of troubleshooting Linux I decided to have it boot me into my correct kernel.  Once logged in I verified it was indeed the correct kernel (which it was) so then from a terminal I ran the following:


sudo grub2-install /dev/sda

Which completed without error.  Then,

sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Then rebooted.  VIOLA! It works correctly now. And I must say a helluva lot easier and less painful than switching boot drives in Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment