Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Linux: A new career goal.

So here lately I've been anxious about the future, for whatever reason.  Windows admins are a dime a dozen and have been for years now.  The only other way to go IMO is Linux.

I'm not a complete nooblet, I've stood up random linux servers in the past.. toyed with various distros when I got bored with Windows. But never aimed for a full on Linux Systems Administrator until now.


So in googling for linux training you get inundated right off the bat.  So I went for the tried and true.. Red Hat.  RHEL training is expensive to be sure, but it's recognized and carries weight.  Then I stumbled across Linux Academy.  LA has decent reviews on Reddit and other various places.  On the other hand die hards don't seem to care for it.  But at $24 per month with access to all of their wares which include Linux Foundation, Red Hat, Amazon AWS, etc it's too cheap to be ignored.

So I decided to go for that initially, at least test the waters for a month.  I started in the Linux Foundation Certified Systems Administrator (LFCSA v2.16) track.  I seems to be almost entirely video based, with a few exercises tossed in. Honestly I don;t know how I feel about that right now.. but I'll keep going.


Also recently I've been spending a lot of time in #systemadmins.  The guys in there are what really spurned me onto linux training.  A dude in that channel wrote up this in response to a question on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxadmin/comments/2s924h/how_did_you_get_your_start/cnnw1ma


So while also running through this LFCSA course I'm also building the environment he outlines.


eDX is offering the Linux Foundation Intro to Linux course for free too:

https://www.edx.org/course?search_query=linux

https://linuxacademy.com/

2 comments:

  1. Hi, loved this post, thanks. Am also working through Linux Academy, but I'm have no where near the skill and experience you do. Just a lowly noob. In fact, I can't even get centos 7 to download without getting the no mountable systems error -[

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sounds like you are a MAC user, I can't help much on that front but Googling it looks like that's a fairly ambiguous error.

      Delete