Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Remington 742 Woodsmaster - repairing broken toe

Ok so recently I bought a new hunting rifle, a Remington 742 Woodsmaster.  I know what you might say or think but I had a budget of only 300 smackers and this was the best thing I found.

Now you can see by the pictures the tip of the toe was broken off, which is the reason I got it for less than $400 or $450.



Now being that I have a few wood working skills, but I am not expert by any means I figured.. yes I can fix this.  The following are progressive shots of the work I've done thus far.
Note that I assumed the stock was walnut.. I was wrong and now I'm leaning more towards maple.  However I did source walnut and used it in the repair.











I was able to source the replacement butt plate from https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ and being a cheap skate I did not want to pay $8 for the white plastic trim piece.  So I fashioned one out of white plastic gutter down spout.

And here's the finale pics.. I wound up putting 4 coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish, which is a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed and varnish (basically)  Oh yeah and I let each coat dry for about 5 minutes then buffed out with a clean rag and allowed to sit for about 24 hours.

*Thinking about putting on a couple more coats once it warms up outside.





And finally the before and after overall:


No comments:

Post a Comment